Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 20, 2009

What do we really know?

When I think about Independence Day I do not normally think of the citizenship test that many immigrants have to take in order to become an American. Do you think you could pass the 100 question citizenship ? Those of us that believe we are Americans are the same that would barely pass the test. Reading this article made me see that it is true that we do not truly know all about our government and how it works, espeically high school students.
Reading this it would seem that it is intended for parents to read and to hopefully get them thinking about what their child is learing in school. Maybe the student to realize that maybe they haven't been taking their government/history class as serious as they probably should. The writer seems to do his research to give the comparisons that provide legitimate insight to how students are performing today.
It would have been nice to hear some examples of how he believes the students in today's world should be educated in school. Since there is no consistent way for teachers to teach, it is a roll of the dice what you learn in a class based on the teacher and your interest. I am one that if it doesn't make sense to me or is of no interest I just don't grasp or retain it. That is not an excuse but a think the way many students function today.
Overall, I think that the article was a good one and got to the point of the matter. If this test was a part of a curriculum for all students and was made to be understood that you should understand and know the answers and each year the test was taken, then maybe the appreciation for what the government is and does would be better appreciated. I think that once you understand the history and really learn it then you can grow to have an appreciation. The fact that some people might say what they want about immigrants they can pass this test based on the items that are taught in our schools. Isn't that something that we should be working on?

No comments:

Post a Comment