Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

This takes the cake

So in reading and listening to this article I was both surprised and confused. A woman has a home that she can’t make payments on, is going to nursing school, and has three kids. So she does a remodel, that she seems to blame for her situation, and that the acting company she was with has gone under. I’m trying to figure out what her income is, does she have a job or was she just crossing her fingers with acting career and the substitute job? I'm confused. I read this expecting to read of a sad story of someone who'd been working and lost their job, but from what I've read so far isn't the case, it seems more like that she was living beyond her means and didn't want to give up the house. So what do you do in times like this? Look for a job or bake cakes? First she goes to apply for Obama’s Making Home Affordable plan but that didn't pan out as there was no response for three months, surprised, I think not. Well she decided to bake cakes, and take orders from multiple people with no plan on how to get them baked and delivered. Even though she’d already reached her goal in one week, that of course was not enough. It’s as though she wanted the story to get out and crossed her fingers hoping someone would help her out, wouldn't you know it, that is exactly what happened. So thanks to some 'angles' that have stepped in and helped solve the problem so can now afford her home, for the time being. Still trying to figure out what she plans to do in the future, the next time she needs her house fixed as it doesn’t seem to be completed, I’m sure some contractor will step in and fix it all for free. I'm always confused when I read stories like these, because it seems that people will step up when they know that it will get them in the lime light. I know that one of the groups helping her is a nonprofit company and I get that, I just think this goes to show that yes you can make a wrong go right, but thinking ahead would be nice too. She's baking cakes, or having others bake them for her, to help pay for a mortgage that she probably still can't afford going forward. This is one area that I feel is wrong with people today, they want and want and would rather go into debt then own up to the fact that they are no longer in a situation to be living the way they are accustomed to. Take a moment to read this and let me know what you think. Am I just to cynical?

1 comment:

  1. In Rebecca's Executive Decision blog, Rebecca commented on an article about a woman baking cakes to save her house and life.

    This woman, Angela Logan, is in desperate need of some quick cash in order to pay her mortgage to become eligible for President Obama’s Making Home Affordable plan, an opportunity to lower her monthly payment by one thousand dollars.

    I completely agree with Rebecca's take on this subject. Though the story may hit close to home for a lot of us who are also going through financially difficult times, Rebecca turns this story around, from the issue of what one will do to keep their life, to the issue of what one won’t do.

    Millions of people have suffered, or at least rearranged their lifestyles, all thanks to this economic crisis. Jobs have been lost nationwide, budgets have been tightened, people have stopped going out to eat quite as much, and those cute outfits have stayed in store windows just a little bit longer. This woman, Ms. Logan, though willing to do honest work for her money, has kept her lifestyle, while wiping out two family members' savings accounts. Why Logan didn't moved to a home with a lower mortgage is beyond me, but Rebecca does an excellent job in putting the situation in perspective: "[People] want and want and would rather go into debt then own up to the fact that they are no longer in a situation to be living the way they are accustomed to."

    In my opinion, Rebecca, you are not too cynical in the least.

    ReplyDelete