Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 8, 2009

To Protest or Not

This week seems to have been an eventful week for health care or is it health insurance reform. I'm not sure which it is now, I've read it both ways, but I think that they are two different things. Health care to me would be the care in which one gets for their health. Health insurance to me means the coverage in which one has to cover their health care cost.
While watching the news and seeing the coverage of the town hall meetings I'm both amazed and sad that the citizens are reacting this way. Whether or not you support the bill there is a mature way of handling your reactions. Yes, maybe there are groups coming together to protest the events, but is that any different than those showing up to support it? Just because one group is more vocal than the other, is that wrong? We do have the 1st amendment, freedom of speech, and having that people are going to feel just fine expressing their views however they choose. Is this that different than those coming out in opposition for the war with Bush? There were groups that protested outside his Crawford ranch on a daily basis, with signs and sayings that were not nice.
I don't see a problem with the protesting, the main issue I see is that we don't really know the details. The bill itself is over 1200 pages, who has read this and understands it? I'd like to know. It is funny to watch the Daily Show with Jon Stuart from this week. It's a funny insight into how maybe this is the one item that Obama wants to be known for, wants to make his mark, and if he doesn't get this pass then the rest of his term will be pointless.

No comments:

Post a Comment